Saturday, November 19, 2011

Gratitude

From Wikipedia: According to Cicero, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of the virtues but the parent of all others.” Multiple studies have shown the correlation between gratitude and increased wellbeing not only for the individual but for all people involved. The positive psychology movement has embraced these studies and in an effort to increase overall wellbeing, has begun to make an effort to incorporate exercises to increase gratitude into the movement. Although in the past gratitude has been neglected by psychology, in recent years much progress has been made in studying gratitude and its positive effects.

Found this on Sugardoodle:

Dear Lord:

Even though I clutch my blanket and growl when
the alarm rings, thank you, Lord, that I can hear.
There are many who are deaf.
Even though I keep my eyes closed against the
morning light as long as possible,
thank you, Lord, that I can see. Many are blind.
Even though I huddle in my bed and put off rising,
thank you, Lord, that I have the strength to rise.
There are many who are bed-ridden.
Even though the first hour of my day is hectic,
when socks are lost, toast is burned and
tempers are short, thank you, Lord, for my family.
There are many who are lonely.
Even though our breakfast table never looks
like the pictures in magazines and the menu is at
times unbalanced, thank you, Lord, for the food we have.
There are many who are hungry;
Even though the routine of my job often is hard,
thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to work.
There are many who have no job.
Even though I grumble and bemoan my fate from
day to day and wish my circumstances were not so
modest, thank you, Lord, for life.

1 comment:

Nichole Brown said...

Did you write this? I LOVE IT