Friday, June 11, 2010

Roatan Friday June 11th

I'm feeling a bit sad tonight because I know I won't get to get up tomorrow and put my diving stuff on and head for the boat. What a great week we've had. We have gone diving 16 times this week. I filled up my dive log book and will have to get a new one tomorrow from the dive shop.

Fortunately Marco felt well enough to dive with us this morning, but he went home after our two morning dives to rest up. The other dive masters and boat captains want to watch the world cup tomorrow so they wanted Marco feeling good to cover the diving tomorrow so they can watch the game.

He took us to Spooky Channel for our first dive because it is a deep dive of 92 ft. It's called Spooky Channel because you go through swim thrus with cloudy visibility and low light and it really is kind of spooky. You could definitely get nervous if you didn't trust your dive master. It was a good experience although I don't think it's my favorite kind of diving.

After a real quick stop at BananaRama we headed back out to another dive spot called Hole in the Wall. This was another swim thru dive, but it was much shallower and full of light. It was really very beautiful.

Lunch at the deli again and then off on another dive with a new dive master named Sophia. She was amazing. I think I liked watching her as much as the fish because she floated along so effortlessly and elegantly. I doubt I'll ever be as good a diver as her, but I'd sure like to try. We saw two big crabs on this dive. Lots of needle nose fish and the biggest Grouper I've ever seen. He must have been 4 feet long at least.

After getting a bit of sun on my legs I came back to shower and get ready for dinner. Scott, Michael, Kevin and I headed down the beach to a place called Bite on the Beach. It had really good food and when we were done eating we looked down and people were feeding a Barracuda and 3 Morey Eel. I've never seen eel not in their hole. It was very fun to watch for awhile.

When we got back to BananaRama we were standing on the beach and the power went out and suddenly everything went dark. It was kind of cool. A few minutes later the generator started up and everything is back to normal.

I'm excited to see the kids tomorrow, but other than that I could sure stay here for awhile. I really love this place. I hope we are able to come back soon.

Adios Roatan

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I'm glad you had a good time. Now back to reaity.