Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Roatan Wednesday June 9th

We had our last Advanced Certification Class today. Wreck diving. After finishing with the classroom we headed to a dive spot called El Aguila which is a cargo ship that was purposely sunk for divers. It used to be in one piece, but apparently, Hurricane Mitch broke it into 3 main pieces a few years ago. It was a deep dive. We were at 108 ft. at one point. That means we went pretty fast at the back of the boat and ended at the front that was about 55 ft. At this point we saw quite a few huge Grouper. I guess St. Anthony's Key (another resort) feeds them and they love to hang out for a free meal. One even let us pet him. It was pretty interesting. Then we went through a pretty coral area to finish the dive. I really enjoyed it.


Our second dive was at Pablo's Place. It's the only dive we've had with any current and it wasn't much compared with Cozumel. We saw great stuff here. A barracuda swam along with us for quite awhile.

Our third dive of the day was a place called Tabyana. I finally saw a drum fish here. We saw another turtle and hermit crabs, flounder, shrimp and lots of fish. One thing I thought was really neat was at a sandy spot I could see where a sting ray had laid and left it's impression in the sand.


We were officially Advanced Water Diver after the wreck dive this morning. We'll get the paper work done and get new cards in the mail. I'm glad to have gotten it here where we could have such incredible diving as we certified.

Later I went and sat on a lawn chair on the beach and finished my first book of the trip. Yes I've only read one book. I know that's not much for me, but I've been busy DIVING! While I sat there one of the cats that hangs our here came and curled up next to me for a little siesta while I read. It kind of made me miss Bastet. That's what she used to love to do.

No comments: