Sunday, June 6, 2010

Roatan Sunday June 6th

Today has been a great day. We woke up very early because the sun was up at 5:00am, but we had gone to sleep pretty early so I didn't notice being tired today. We lounged around for a couple of hours and then started getting ready for church. We met Scott and Michael for breakfast around 8:00 and then met Joel who drove us to church about 20 minutes from Bananarama.

The church looks like an LDS chapel. There was a missionary there from Vernal who spoke with us before the meeting began and many others from the branch welcomed us. It was great to sing the Hymns with the members in Spanish. They had no piano or organ, but a brother would lead us by singing the first few bars and then we would start over and begin. It was fun to hear the little children singing with enthusiasm. After 1 or 2 testimonies I was able to understand at least 80 percent of what was being said because I knew what they were saying and because I had prepared my testimony in writing before I got there. I felt a bit nervous to bear my testimony, but I think they understood most of it. We visited with a family from Lander, Wyo. who arrived to the meeting shortly after it began. The Bills family. The father is a dentist and was here the week before with a big group of dentists who did work on the people from Roatan at the church. The missionary from Vernal said they had church videos and would speak to the people as they waited. I guess that was the price of free dentistry.

On the way back I sat in the front seat with Joel and he practiced his English and I practiced my Spanish. It was a lot of fun.

We got back about 10:45 and changed. Scott and Michael had a nap and Kevin and I went snorkeling. We met them at noon for lunch and then about 1:30 we grabbed our stuff and went to the dive shop to get outfitted.

We only had a 5 minute boat ride to Deep Sea Quest where we dove for about an hour. It was beautiful with nice coral and many medium and smaller fish. We saw a pipe seahorse. They're very small and look like nothing much if you don't look close. This was the most relaxing dive I've ever had. There was no current to speak of and we really just floated along and could look at everything we wanted to. We didn't see any large sea creatures, but I really enjoyed this dive.


After cleaning our gear, we headed out to the beach to relax until dinner. I studied for my Advanced water certification. I think it will be a good thing to get while we're here. We will have to think a bit, but it's about fun stuff so you'll hear no complaining here.

At dinner we visited with Adolfo who is the manager here and also a member of the church. He is a returned missionary for about a year. He served his mission here on Roatan and he is from here. He looks about 16-years-old, but he runs the whole place while the owners are away. They are gone now. They are from Idaho. Louis, the son is a member of the church so the missionaries come here on their P-day to relax and use the internet. We'll probably see them tomorrow.

At dinner time they also had crab races and fire dancing which was fun to watch. The band was very good also. I can see myself spending many vacation days here in the future, but then there are so many beautiful places in the world. I hope to see as many as possible.

1 comment:

Becky said...

You have a great under water camera. Those pictures are amazing. Who knew all those things were under the water. It looks like you had a great time.