Sunday, June 7, 2009

El Libro de Mormón

For the past two summers I have had the goal of reading the Book of Mormon in a week. Yes that's right, a week. My mom gave me the idea. She has done it several times. In fact, one time she read it 6 times in 6 weeks. Wow! I decided that as much as I like to read and as many hours a day as I spend reading other books, I certainly could read the Book of Mormon in a week once a year. As I have mentioned on this blog, I was given the impression to learn Spanish last fall and have been using a Spanish Book of Mormon to help me. I decided to listen to my Spanish Book of Mormon as I read it in English and I just finished today right before church. What an incredible experience. When I read the Book of Mormon in English I spend about 3 hours a day to meet my goal of 75 pages a day and the whole thing in a week, but listening took about 4 1/2 hours a day. It was tricky sometimes to fit that into my schedule, but the sacrifice was so worth it. I picked up more Spanish vocabulary in this past week than I have in the 9 months I've been trying to learn. I still can't say much, but I can understand ALOT of what I read and listen to. I'm so amazed at the power of the Book of Mormon in every aspect of our lives. I'm constantly learning more from my regular study of this divine book.

I want to try and bear my testimony in Spanish. Kevin said to preface it with: "It's true as far as it is translated correctly." For those of you who are "real" Spanish speakers, I preface this as Moroni did when he said, "y tú has hecho que no podamos escribir sino poco, a causa de la torpeza de nuestras manos. He aquí, no nos has hecho fuertes en escribir, como al hermano de Jared; porque le concediste que las cosas que él escribiera fuesen tan potentes como tú lo eres, al grado de dominar al hombre al leerlas. (Éter 12:24)

Yo sé que El Libro de Mormón es la palabra de Dios. Yo sé que El Libro de Mormón es el libro más correcto en todas el mundo. Yo sé que Joseph Smith es un profeta y restaura la iglesia de Jesuscristo. Yo sé que Thomas S. Monson es un profeta hoy. La iglesia de Jesucristo es la iglesia verdad. En el nombre de Jesucristo, amén.

14 comments:

Melissa said...

RaeAnn that is awesome! I have a hard enough time understanding the BOM in English, let alone in Spanish! What a great accomplishment!

Bart and Krista said...

What a great goal to achieve! I am very impressed, and I'd love to try that someday too. Thanks for the great idea. (And I am very proud of you for learning Spanish. Way to go!)

Horsley News said...

I love that goal and think that I will try it too. Now I just need to get the BofM in spanish.
love
MOM

Valorie said...

ReAnn, all I can say is Wow. You are such an inspiration to me. What an incredible person you are.

Michelle said...

Very cool! I am impressed. You are always doing neat things!

Cox Clan said...

What an amazing goal. I am so glad you have been able to do this. I have thought about learning spanish, but haven't done anything about it yet. One thing at a time. Right now my goals are in running. Saturday is the big day. Wahoo!!!!

Holly said...

That is amazing! I can't even phathom doing that. Maybe when live slows down a little bit I will give it a try. Way to go on the spanish too. Tommy went spanish speaking on his mission and has wanted me to learn for sometime. Once again just another thing I will tackle when I have some extra time.

Janice {Run Far} said...

wow.. I thought you were wonder woman when you were reading the BOM in a week.. now I am not sure what to call you. Reading in Spanish too.. you are amazing and a great example. I really think that I will try reading the BOM in a week this summer too. I have nothing else to do, and like you, I read enough as it is. May as well be the BOM. Love you. see you tomorrow, I hope.

Lydia said...

That is a cool way to learn spanish, 15 years of being married to a mexican and I still only speak food.

Sarah said...

Wow!!! I can't even get myself to read it once a year.

Carrie said...

That is amazing! You never cease to amaze me! Now if I can only follow your example.

Natalie said...

Awesome! I need to do things like that. I'm so glad you shared that.

JKZABRISKIE said...

Wow! You are such an example to me! I wish had the time to read in spanish and in english, I guess I'll have to try it out when summer semester ends.
Love Ya!
Kristen

www.fourspuds.com said...

Muy bien. Way to go Rae. I've found if I don't use my spanish I forget a lot. A Leer en espanol siempre es una ayuda. Siguese fiel.
Sea feliz, sea mormon.

John